Sunday, February 15, 2009

This is my first attempt at a blog. I am an artist and have just started exploring all of the new things that are around for us to try and express ourselves artistically. I hope to share my finds and experiences with each new (or old) technique I try. I have been searching the web and books to learn techniques I never knew how or learned to do before. My criteria is that the technique must be affordable, somewhat quick, easy to figure out and use mostly materials and things we have on hand. The web is a great source to find out all you need to get started.

I have been an artist since I was a child. We won't say how long ago that was. I learned to embroider when I was 8, knit when I was 13, and crochet around the same time. I worked for a short time as a portrait artist and that is one of my first loves. Humans and animals are a constant source of subjects for me.

An old friend of my old friend left her home here and left behind all of her fabric, knitting and embroidery supplies. She used to work for 'Joann's Fabrics' and 'Beverly's. I got all of this stuff for free. Tons of fabric and thread. So I decided that this must not go to waste. I started to research quilting and fabric arts. There are a lot of sources and techniques out there on the web and books and amazingly most can be done on the equipment I have. I have also become a Jewelry artist in the last few years and have set up my own site on etsy.com. There I have met a lot of hand crafted artist that amaze me with their creativity. I hope that part of this blog will be to introduce any of you who find my blog to these wonderful artists.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betty,
    Just read your comment on my blog and I'm so glad you set your own up now. It's lots of fun and I hope you use it to promote your etsy site as well as a journal or diary of your life. Have fun! Visit me at : http://camille1955 and http://camille1955.artfire.com or come over to my blog anytime...good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops...above address is: ****** http://camille1955.etsy.com
    the artfire one is correct!

    ReplyDelete